Subject: Re: Starting own company...
From: [email-masked] (Intelligent Light)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:32:59 -0800

>Hi,
>
>I saw your message in the 'LIST.LIGHTWAVE' for starting you own company.
>I'm very intrested, and would like to know more. So, I'm writing you this
>EMAIL, which I hope arrives, because I just got my EMAIL adress 3 days ago.
>(Hopefully all the settings are correct...)
>
>Greetings,
>
>Jeroen van Velsen (NETMAIL: 14:101/101.8)
>                  (EMAIL: [email-masked])
>A4000T V3.1 WarpEngine 040/40mhz 22mb RAM
>
>-- Via Xenolink 1.981, XenolinkUUCP 1.1
>
>

Intelligent Light is a small animation company, (2 guys) who provide graphic
services to a wide range of clients. We do the animation for the "Barney"
T.V. show as well as their "Home Video" collection and most of their
marketing stuff.
We work for ABC Sports, JC Penneys, Black and Decker, and a bunch of smaller
local clients. The point to all of this is that we are just like most of
you. I decided to start my own business 4 years ago and have learned quite a
bit in the process. After answering the same questions over and over, I
thought why not do a tape on it and let people use it as a guideline to
start their own animation business. Here is a rundown ov the topics we would
cover:

START YOUR OWN ANIMATION / PRODUCTION BUSINESS

Stop spending money and start making it!

With the onslaught of techno toys and the latest and greatest software, it's
easy to be trapped into thinking that you don't have enough gear or money to
begin your own business. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE! Regardless of what you
have there is SOMEONE out there who will pay for what you have to offer. It
may very well be that what you have to offer is all they can afford, which
means you can begin making money right away!

Stay 100% debt free!

Don't take out leases, and don't empty your savings to purchase your
equipment. If you get a job and you don't have the resources to get it
completed, FEAR NOT! There is a simple solution, and in many cases you can
get it done without spending any money!

How to market successfully!

Getting work isn't as hard as it seems. With visual communications on the
rise, there are more and more people looking for someone to produce their
projects. We'll show you where to look!

Learn to quickly qualify your clients!

Since there are so many people looking for animation and production
services, you'll be amazed at the lengths some will go to to get your
services. We'll teach you the right questions to ask to quickly qualify your
prospects sincerity and their ability to pay!

Closing the sale!

What do you say to convince your potential client that you are the one for
the job? We'll tell you! Walk away from your meeting with a new client and
money to make for your new business!

Pitfalls! There are jobs you can afford not to take!

Which jobs are right? Under optimum circumstances, all jobs are right.
However, there are jobs that you should avoid like the plague! Find out
which ones, and why.

Learn what to charge for your services!

The most frequently asked question of me is, "How do I know what to charge?"
We'll show you a simple formula that you can use for getting all that your
worth! No guess work! You'll know that you are making a profit for
everything that you do!

Collect from the ones who won't pay!

It's justice, the Intelligent Light way! kill them, immediately! Just
kidding! There are many little (less than 75$) or no money down steps that
you can take to collect for your services. Theft of service is one of the
highest forms of theft in the United States today! We'll show you how to
protect yourself from getting robbed, and how to collect!

How to create a perfect demo!

Let's face it. You can have all the great toys but without work, you're
HOSED! Learn how to put a tape together that will assure you of a high
degree of success! This could be a whole tape by itself!

Write offs! Running the business!

Learn how to manage your business and manage your money while keeping Uncle
Sam off your back! Oh yeah, he can be a client too! We'll tell you how!

Well, there you have it. I've been asked by many people to do a tape on
Lightwave but I fell like we have plenty of those already, don't you? So, I
decided to do something that would be really usefull. This tape will sell
for about $29.95 plus shipping. I will also offer you a money back thingy.
If you don't feel you can use this information, after viewing the tape, I'll
give you your money back. We have not gone to production on this yet. I
wanted to see if you guys even needed something like this first. We have
begun scripting this project. If you have anything you would like to see
covered in this tape, send your ideas to me at: [email-masked]

Tom Rennen
Intelligent Light Digital Imaging
214-420-6815

It should be ready next week.